Issue 20: April 10
Dear Dr. Schelling,

I noticed my dog sniffing around some plants that I realized are not doggy safe and have since fenced in my garden but I’m still worried about my dog getting in and eating a poisonous plant. If I were to catch my dog doing this could I cause him to throw up so he won’t become ill?

Dear Patricia,

If you just saw your pet ingesting something toxic, you may be tempted to try and induce vomiting. But because serious complications can arise, NEVER induce vomiting unless specifically instructed to do so by your veterinarian or by Animal Poison Control.

However, if your vet has advised you to induce vomiting at home, please read this article to understand the risks and follow up care that will be needed.

-Dr. Schelling
Sign up for the FREE Dog Health Newsletter